Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fabric Love

So these are just a few swatches of a stack of oriental prints that I've been hoarding collecting for a while now and I finally have enough to start planning something out. 


I scanned them all into my computer and then uploaded them to Electric Quilt 7 (EQ7) and started to play.  I came up with a couple versions of what I am envisioning, but there are no guarantees that whatever I finally end up making will even remotely resemble either of these.  That is the beauty of the planning stage - anything is possible.  And I'm still not sure this is the best way to show off the fabrics... we'll see.

So... a scrappy version:


And a more ordered version:


What do you think?  I like the second better, but it will be more complicated to ensure that I have enough of each fabric since the bulk of them are fat quarters.  I think it should work though.  The center of each of these is 72" square the way I've been playing with it, but I could make it a more manageable wall size (like 48" square).  I just have a feeling that if I ever actually make a lone star quilt that I'll want to have it on my bed.  Of course, I already have two finished queen size quilts for my bed so I really don't need another one, but it sure is nice to have the option... I always gravitate toward bigger quilts - I think it must be a form of self-torture.

Of course, something with large blocks would showcase more of the fabrics and be easier, but I kinda like the juxtaposition of modern fabrics with traditional quilt patterns.

Anyway, just thought I'd try and share part of my planning process - it's the part of quilting that I think I enjoy the most.  Any suggestions are welcome.

9 comments:

Brittany said...

I agree! I like the second better as well!

I think its so cool that you can upload them and play with them on the computer!

Sheesh you can do EVERYTHING with technology these days!

Do you think the iphone has an app for that too? lol

Gloria said...

WOW! Beautiful fabrics, great colors, and it looks like it is going to be gorgeous. And I DEFINITELY like the first one. Somehow, it shows all of the different shades better to me, plus I think it goes better with the border for some reason. But, of course, the second is great too. I can't believe there's a computer program for this!! I never heard of anything like this -- that is truly amazing. And I think you SHOULD make it big and keep it for yourself. That would look great for the winter or the spring and you can get a complimentary fabric and make drapes for your windows, with matching shams for the bed/quilt. See, I have your whole room planned for you! Now all YOU have to do is all the WORK. :)
Best,
Gloria

Marjorie said...

What gorgeous fabrics! seems a shame to cut them into small pieces. I'd be tempted to do something more modern with big squares. Best of luck with the Lone Star!

ShirleyC said...

That is one cool program! My mom used to make star quilts, and the second version is more like hers, but I do think she had a few more solids in hers. She had to use whatever she had available.

Melissa said...

Gorgeous fabric. I can't pick a favorite.

I like the first 'scrappy' one better.

Christie describeHappy said...

Oh wow, I had no idea you could pre-plan a quilt that way. I still draw my out by hand on graph paper and color them in with color pencils. I need to get with it and try this out. My opinion, I really like the first version better, but I also like the randomness associated with it. Either way you can't loose. I think I need to add a lone star quilt to my list... after all I'm from Texas -- the lone star state. Have a great weekend!

Michelle said...

I think I like the scrappy version best.

sue said...

WOW I love the second one.

Robyn said...

I love the look of the second one, but I love even more that you're planning it with Oriental fabrics!

This quilt will look beautiful either way :D