Monday, August 16, 2010

Canvas with Wings and Collage Art

This was originally a guest post that I wrote for Michele at The Scrap Shoppe last week...

A couple of months ago I redesigned my craft room and made this piece of art for my wall.


I wanted to put art on the walls that would inspire me so I looked up tons of inspirational quotes. When I found this quote from Emerson it really hit home. And as I read all those quotes I felt uplifted and wanted to try and show that feeling of soaring on inspiration. I started with a canvas and knew from the beginning that I wanted it to hang from a corner rather than the usual direction. I painted it with some acrylic paints, then decoupaged the quote on top. I used craft wire to shape the wings and then hot glued them to the back. I sewed on a layer of tulle and another layer of a sheer lining and then glued a whole bunch of feathers around the outside of the canvas.
My sister loved the quote and asked me to make her one for her office, but a canvas with wings wasn't quite right for her or her office. She also wanted something that she could frame. So after some thought, I came up with this...


It's mixed media: water color, oil pastels, paper collage, paint markers and gel markers. It wasn't as complicated as you might think... you just need to "build" it in layers.
I started with a 12"x16" piece of water color paper and marked off the edges so she could mat it to 11"x14" easily. I played with some water color paints just to start some colors for the background. If you don't have paint, you can start with any great scrapbook paper. Then I copied out the quote in a word processing program and played with the size and font until I was happy with it. I printed it and cut out the words ransom note style and the found some awesome images from The Graphics Fairy. Here you can see the quote and images at this point:

Once I was happy with the layout, I used a glue stick to glue it all down with a few more random pieces cut from magazines and catalogs.
I added some depth to the background with some oil pastels, but you can use markers or crayons too - whatever you like. Just play.

To finish it off, I had fun with some paint markers and gel pens and VOILA!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi... I'm your newest follower.

Brittany said...

Love it! You are so talented!

Edith Schmidt said...

Great work! I just love it!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I'm poppping over from The Graphics Fairy ... Your collage is fabulous! I love quotations. What a great way to showcase one that inspires you. I had a friend who lived in Aurora and worked for he mayor. Enjoyed visiting her there. Wishing you a great week ahead. :) Tammy

PetraB said...

The canvas is brilliant for the office, love the quotation.

That Crazy Ajumma said...

Oh it is lovely!
I really love the poem.
I especially love the one on your header.
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Love the quote and the art, there are so many inspiring quotes out ther. Visiting from Graphics Fairy.

Anonymous said...

Love the quote and the art, there are so many inspiring quotes out ther. Visiting from Graphics Fairy.

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

Sorry Moogie...
Now I am!!!!
Thanks for stopping by and leading me here.
Love your crafty blog,
Right up my alley!
Love your purse from the bird seed bags....
wonderful!
xoxo@Kathy @
Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Karen The Graphics Fairy said...

Beautiful!! I love all the colors and the quote! Thanks for linking this up to Brag Monday.

Ginger said...

Isn't it fun to create art? Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

Unknown said...

Love your multimedia talents! I am now following you too! Priceless.. Pinkapotamus and Craftopotamus.. we MUST do a Blog Swap it would be great!
Amie
Pinkapotamus

Lindy said...

I love you collage! It's just wonderful!

L.

Joselyn said...

It's so nice to have art in you home that reflects who you are. Great job!

Anonymous said...

These are so pretty!! Such a great idea! Im your newest follower from NFF =) Have a great weekend!

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

Love it! I put a "Quotation of the Month" about creativity on my blog. If you don't mind, I'd like to use this quote next time!

Warmly, Michelle

Jenny said...

I've not heard that quote. I'm copying it down. Really inspiring.