Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Big Week

I'd like to start off by welcoming all of my new followers... 

Welcome!  So glad you're here!

I tell you, if you want to up your blog traffic and simultaneously fill your inbox, give a quilt away!  And just in case you were wondering, if by chance I reach 200 followers in the next few days, I will not be able to give a second one away for the occasion.  :)  Seriously though, reading all of your comments has been lovely... there are some pretty cool people in blogland.

In other news, my recycled bird seed bag was featured on Creative Itch, Cheap Chic Home, Beyond the Picket Fence, and House of Hepworths!  I'd like to thank the Academy!  I can't tell you how thrilled I am at how well-received the bag was.  I hope to make myself another one soon, but in the form of a messenger bag.

AND, I made a label for your quilt...




Earlier this afternoon when I started the project, I had plans to walk you through how I made the label.  I took all the pictures I needed as I went, step by step.  I printed the image I wanted onto a piece of fabric that I had ironed to an 8.5 x 11 sheet of freezer paper.  Thought the printing looked great and I cut that label out and stitched it on by hand and then sorted out all those great action shots of me going through steps.

Then I sat down to write up my post and decided to google printing on fabric to see if there were a ton of tutorials on this or not... only to find out that apparently this method isn't as permanent as you might think unless you use pre-treated fabric.  Opps!  That's what I get for "making it up as I go."

I did some testing on some other pieces I made the same way and it looks like the black ink won't fade much at all after washing, but that cute little "button" image I decided to throw in there will fade a bit because it's mostly colored ink.  Printing directly to fabric like that will work for that art quilt I am working on, though, because it won't be washed - just hung on a wall. 

So your quilt will not be quite perfect.

But it's still a free quilt.  With a label.  :)

8 comments:

Pris said...

Wow! What a difference giving somehting away makes... almost 200 followers... congratulations!!!

Saraccino said...

And now: More than 200! Congrats :)

Saraccino said...

And now: More than 200! Congrats :)

quiltingnana said...

you are really getting popular...can't wait to see the finished product

Lorie said...

The quilt is gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing it on Show and Tell Saturday! Winning a quilt would be great, but I would rather you come teach me HOW to quilt! ;D

Gloria said...

Cecily, you said: "your quilt will not be QUITE perfect." Are you kidding??? IT IS PERFECT! Even if the little pic on the label fades, trust me, no one will care. Whomever wins this will be SO GRATEFUL and SO HAPPY, that it truly will be perfect, it is perfect. I can see your are a perfectionist, and so even a little label will throw you off. But please know that, especially for those of us who don't quilt, we DO appreciate the hard work that it takes. I think if I did such a work of art as this, I would not, COULD not, be so generous to give it away. I would just sit and look at it all day, admiring my greatness in making it. :) Well, although I REALLY want to win it, I am sure that whatever number comment wins, that person will feel blessed to get this, as I would. Well, this is long enough!! HEY! Please check out my blog to see my post that I did on your "QuiltAway!" I think you will like it! www.thelittleredhousewiththewhiteporch.blogspot.com
Best regards,
Gloria

Unknown said...

What a beautiful quilt!! I wish quilting was a craft I had in my creative repertoire. Congrats on the followers!! :-)

Eve said...

Oh I would love to win your quilt. I don't own one at all, but I really love quilts. It's really pretty.