Thursday, May 17, 2012

A Little Bird for Inspiration






Well hello there!  Remember me??  I know it's been a while... like maybe about 4 and a half months since I've posted, but don't think I haven't thought of the blogging/crafting world often.  Since my last post I have finished my last semester of grad school and graduated.  I'm still looking for a full time job, but good things come to those who wait, right? 

And my hands have not been still over the last few months.  I have needed to craft in order to keep myself sane and most of it has come in the form of knitting since it is so portable and cathartic.  I have some projects to share, but it will take some time to get them posted.


In the meantime, my husband and I spent this last weekend in Galena, IL and I was inspired to paint.  I had a larger piece in the planning stage and was working on some practice color runs and placement when my mom saw them.  She fell in love with one of my practice birds so I came up with this painting for her on a spare canvas I had.  It's 8" square and is a mixed media piece: acrylics, pastels, marker, and a page from a perfectly aged Mark Twain book from the 60's or 70's. 

I was struggling to find the right way to break back into blogging and I think this piece reminds me why I love it.  It's the ability to find inspiration and share inspiration within a world of familiar, crafty, artsy souls that just need to make things and share them with others because it feels good.

I'm glad to be back and I can't wait to catch up on everyone else's projects.

8 comments:

Nicole G. said...

That is the cutest picture! If I ever end up doing a baby room, I will have to see about purchasing some for the walls!

Melissa said...

What a darling little bird with the poutiest little chest!!

I am so glad to see you again!!

Mary said...

Welcome back, and congratulations on your academic achievement! This is the sweetest bird. Would you consider drawing up some templates to make this into a foundation-pieced block?

Abby said...

Love this so much...so cute!

Accidentally Wonderful said...

What a darling little bird!

Candy said...

You have talent! To be able to knit, paint & craft! You go girl! Congrats on graduating!!

Hopping by from the Friday Blog Hop! Come check us out too!
www.sweepstakesmama.com

Candy-The Skeptical Sweeper representing:
Sweepstakes Mama

Heather said...

I love your bird, your mom will love it! Welcome back!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Welcome back and Congrats!!!! And your little birdie is just adorable.