Thursday, May 17, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Spring 2012


It's that time of year again.  Time for the Blogger's Quilt Festival!

Amy's Creative Side

This has got to be one of the most inspiring weeks in blog land and the reason I started blogging in the first place.  I can't wait to see what everyone has been working on.  As for myself, I haven't finished as many quilts as usual since the last festival, but this one is definitely my favorite since then.  


I made this for a friend of mine who was having a baby and I love it for it's simplicity.   I think for me this was a great example of working smarter, not harder.  I have a tendency to over-think things (my friends out there are laughing hysterically at the under-statement in those words) and for this quilt I finally got smart and let the fabrics do most of the work.


I just love the birds and apples in the two coordinating prints I found and I was afraid of chopping them up too small or having them lost in a bunch of other prints.  I wanted them to really steal the show.  And I think they do just that in this quilt.  Certainly not my most creative layout, but it makes me happy just to look at it.


Pairing those two fabrics with just the right solids was all this quilt really needed.  I called the finished quilt Apple Baby.  Obvious, right?  :)


Some simple quilting, snuggly fleece for backing, and satin blanket blinding made it easy to put together in a hurry and perfect for baby.  It was very well received and has since been put to good use.  :)


The finished quilt was roughly 48" square (I believe in generously-sized baby quilts) and the solids were all flannels.  Speaking of flannel, I did manage to finish a very large queen-sized flannel quilt for my own bed which I hope to post soon.  It had a lot of tactile embellishments which I look forward to sharing.  

I really can't wait to see what everyone shares for the festival and reading all of the lovely stories.  Thanks for stopping by and enjoy the fest!  I know I will.

26 comments:

Abby said...

Loving all your birdie art :)

Teje Karjalainen said...

Your baby quilt is so beautiful! Lovely fabrics and the flannel is wonderful for babies! x Teje

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

This baby quilt is so cute! And so is your blog! I have had a great time perusing many of your posts and seeing all of your creativity!

I love the crochet granny square blanket you are working on especially the different size squares. The colors are pretty too.

Nice stopping by!
Kindly, Lorraine

Melissa said...

I think you were on target on with this one. Blocky quilts are sometimes a bit dull - but you picked the right fabrics and and finished it nicely and I wouldn't change a thing - it has to make the baby happy to look at!!

Katie B said...

Such a sweet simple quilt! It looks very cozy.

straythreads said...

beautiful baby quilt!!!
Ann

Heidi Grohs said...

So Glad to see you!!! Missing you! I haven't done a fleece backing yet. Next on my list?

CitricSugar said...

How lovely! It looks very snuggly.

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Easy to see why it's a favorite and I'll bet baby will use it for years to come!

Scribbler said...

Thanks for stopping by! Congratulations on finishing up your degree.

The quilt is so cute! Hope you have a successful show.

Mom said...

how snuggly!


Margaret
http://quiltsoflove.blogspot.com/

Eileen said...

darling quilt--lucky baby. such fun fabrics and great layout. thanks for sharing and have a great day

quilthexle said...

Sweet quilt! such a wonderful fresh design- thanks for sharing !

Janet said...

These fabrics work perfectly together. Lovely quilt!

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a fun snuggly quilt!! Gorgeous fabrics that look wonderful as squares!! Thanks for sharing!! Enjoy the Festival.

Sue Daurio said...

what a sweet quilt, and yep the fabrics did all the work, it looks great. I'm with you "simple" is not always simple for me :)

Dorothy said...

Sweet quilt and such cheerful colors.
Thank you for sharing it with us.

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

This quilt is perfect! It is fun, happy and snuggly. I like a quilt where the fabric does the talking! Great job!

Jenn said...

the birdies are too cute and it looks perfectly snuggly!

Robin said...

Sweet! Just perfect for a baby!

Andrea Louise said...

I am enjoying all of the quilts, but yours is simply awesome!

MariQuilts said...

So cute and snugly.

April said...

Oh so Sweet! I love the apples and little birds. April @Little Mama Hen

Melissa said...

It looks so soft and cozy!

Dar said...

It looks so cuddly. I like flannel on baby quilts too. Nice job.

Jean said...

Love your quilt. Such sweet colors and fabrics!